B Vitamins: Best Vitamins for Energy

| Last updated on | Published on October 10, 2007 | 17 Replies
Vitamin Capsules

Flickr Commons: Image provided by Bruce

B vitamins are some of the best vitamins for energy, because they help metabolize carbohydrates, the body’s and brain’s main source of fuel. The lack of these nutrients can cause body fatigue, dizziness, memory problems, depression and lead to other illnesses. If you are planning to get most of your B complex from plant-based foods, avoid cooking them or do not cook them for too long, because the heat and hot water will destroy a good portion of their B vitamins.

The vitamin B complex is believed to be made of eight vitamins, which are B12, B9, B7, B6, B5, B3 (niacin), B2 (riboflavin) and B1 (thiamine). These energy vitamins are great for preventing low energy, because they work together to boost metabolism, assist cell growth and division, enhance the nervous and immune system, and keep the skin and muscles healthy.

Here is a breakdown of some of the best B vitamins for energy:

B12 (also known as cobalamin or cyanocobalamin): Out of all the B complex, B12 is probably one of best energy vitamins of them all, because it is required for proper digestion and the metabolization of carbohydrates. The recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of vitamin B12 for both men and women is 2.4 mcg.

• Helps the body digest food properly
  • Helps the synthesis of protein and absorption of foods
  • Helps metabolize carbohydrates and fats, the body’s main source of energy
  • Required for normal gene function and energy production

B9 (also known as folate or folic acid): B9 does not play a big role in energy production, but when combined with other B complex, it can be beneficial for energy. This energy vitamin is important for helping the body to form hemoglobin and is particularly important during pregnancy. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B9 for both men and women is 400 mcg/day. Women who are pregnant or breast feeding may want to consume 500-600 mcg/day.

• Helps treat anemia and sprue
  • Helps prevent neural tube defects in newborns
  • Great for preventing spina bifida

B7 (also known as biotin): This B complex is another important B vitamin for energy. B7 helps assist the release of energy from carbohydrates and is required for metabolizing fat. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B7 is 30-100 mcg/day.

• Helps form fatty acids
  • Required for metabolizing fat and protein
  • Increases immunity and gene function

B6 (also known as pyridoxine): B6 is a energy vitamin that helps the body to produce energy by assisting it to absorb and metabolize amino acids. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B6 is about 2 mg/day depending on age and gender.

• Helps the body burn fats
  • Assists the body to form red blood cells

B5 (also known as pantothenic acid): This energy vitamin is very important for energy production, because it helps metabolize fats, carbohydrates and proteins. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B5 is 10 mg/day.

• Helps reduce fatigue and allergies
  • Required for proper immune function
  • Important for adrenal stress hormone production

B3 (also known as niacin): B3 is one of the best energy vitamins due to its ability to help the body release energy from nutrients. Besides being one of the best energy vitamins, it may play an important role for controlling cholesterol levels. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B3 for an adult is 14-18 mg/day.

• Prevents and helps treat arteriosclerosis
  • Helps reduce the risk of neurological disease
  • Useful in treating Raynaud’s syndrome, a blood vessel disorder

B2 (also known as riboflavin): B2 is a great vitamin for energy due to its role of metabolizing fats, carbohydrates, and respiratory proteins. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B2 for an adult is 1.3 mg/day.

• Helps keep your skin, eyes, mouth, skin, nails, lips and tongue healthy
  • Helps protect against cancer
  • Required for energy production
  • Required for oxygen utilization

B1 (also known as thiamine): B1 is another important vitamin for energy because it helps metabolize carbohydrates and synthesize nerve regulating substances. The recommended dietary allowance of vitamin B1 for an adult is about 1.5 mg/day.

• Helps with anxiety, indigestion and improve mental ability
  • Necessary for adrenal gland function
  • Necessary for the synthesis of neurotransmitters and proper immune performance
  • Needed for the metabolism of food and alcohol

The RDA for B vitamin is usually the minimal recommendation. For best result, you may want to take more than the RDA. Also, when choosing B vitamins, buy the natural versions rather than the synthetic versions. Some health experts claim that natural and synthetic vitamins are the same and that there is no difference in their health benefits. To make this kind of claim is ignorance because there are many studies that have showed that they affect the body differently.

Natural vitamins found in nature are always accompanied by other vitamins, minerals, co-vitamin helpers and other synergistic components. These extra components are needed to assist the body to utilize the vitamins and prevent it from breaking down into toxic chemicals. A great article I recommend reading about natural and synthetic B vitamins is found at DrHeise.com. In this article, Robert J Thiel, Ph.D., N.D. goes into great details about the differences between synthetic and natural vitamins and how synthetic vitamins are made.

Recommended natural and high quality B vitamin supplement

One of the best B vitamin supplements is MegaFood Balanced B Complex. This B Complex is made of 100% whole food nutrients and is non-GMO.

Sources:

Tip the Author with Bitcoin

Tags: , , , , ,

Category: Increasing Energy, Nutrition and Supplements

1. Fiona says:

I need the name of a very good vitamin B-complex B-5 B-2 B-12, actually all the B-Complex that a woman will really need please, thank you very much for you assistance.

2. Vitamin Nut says:

I am a firm believer in the power of B vitamins. I can tell you that they are really important where pregnancy is concerned. When I got pregnant with my first child, I did not have enough B9 (folic acid) and had really bad morning sickness. When I planned to get pregnant with my second child, I supplemented my B vitamins and did not have any morning sickness problems. B vitamins are very important and can make a difference in your overall health and wellness.

3. PL Chang says:

I recommend buying B vitamins from this online store, because many of its B vitamin supplements are high quality and non-GMO certified.

The product that I used to take on a regular basis to get my B-vitamins was Nutrilite Double X, but once I found out that it contains mostly synthetic vitamins and may be contaminated with GMO, I stopped taking it.

For more information on dietary supplements visit the link below.

4. blaine says:

Great info here. I’m a 100% disabled vet on up to 30 pills/day from the VA. I’m gradually cutting some of them down. Almost all have a sedative warning, and they do rob me of the energy I used to have.
    Not sure what I will drink and vitamins to take but maybe Mountain Dew’s drink, or the Hype MFP or Bazza High energy Rasberry Tea. I don’t want any sugar substitutes or sugar. Maybe a drink and Nutrilite?

• Patrick says:

I’d also highly recomend some organic (Braggs) Apple cider Vinegar 2 to 3 times a day. I’m up to about a 1/4 cup, 3 times a day mixed with Honey and it’s a n energizer, purgative and alkalines the body which protects that immune system like steel armor. Abundant Health
      pax
      patrick

5. Mark A Sadowsi says:

I am curious Mr. Chang as to what, if any ‘multivitamin’, and I use that term loosely since a lot of companies are now calling their new products something different, are you currently taking?

6. Shaunee says:

B vitamins are very important in the processing of food into energy. I can tell you now that I am a b-complex fanatic and I never had so much energy until I started taking a supplement!

7. Marie says:

What is a good vitaman that has all the b vitamans
    :?:

I believe the MegaFood Balanced B Complex that I recommended at the end of this article has all of the B-vitamins. It is also 100% whole food nutrients which is more healthier.

8. Gina says:

Would it be more beneficial to take B-complex 100 or should I take each individual b vitamin? (B1 B2 B4, etc)

I would take the B-complex that contains most of the B-vitamins instead of individual B-vitamin.

• Gina says:

Would it be harmful to take B-complex plus B12 (which I am low in) Biotin, B1 & B2 ( would like a boost of energy, my hair, nails and skin could use a boost too, finding myself a bit anxious as well). Also should you seperate taking vitamins with minerals? Is it ok to take multi vitamins at the time (taking Biotin, B-complex, B12, A & E, Omega 3-6-9, and D – all at the same time in the AM) Sorry for the ambush – but want to make sure I understand how to handle vitamins.

It should not be harmful as long as you do not exceed the recommended amount. Most vitamin toxicity occurs because of synthetic vitamins that are poorly created. Plus, a lot of vitamin supplements contain genetically modified ingredients. The B-vitamin complex that I recommended at the end of this article is a great choice.

A lot of vitamins need minerals to function properly so it would be a good idea to take minerals along with vitamins. For your convenience, you may want to purchase natural multivitamin supplements that are free of GMO.

9. Dawn says:

You can also try all-natural supplements with vitamins and minerals to give you a longer boost in energy. I know of two great products on the market. To learn more please visit http://silvelf.blogspot.com/2013/07/best-supplements-for-energy-and-focus.html

10. Hey says:

Hi,
    Is Dr Abram Hoffer’s othomedical approach good?
    Taking megadoses vitamin b3 niacin.
    What is good supplement for that?
    Thank you.