Breathing exercise is one of the most important methods of increasing energy and health because it replenishes your body with oxygen. Your body depends on oxygen more than anything. Without food you can live for weeks, without water you can live for days, but take away oxygen and your body will decease within minutes.
Your cells need oxygen to give them the energy necessary to function. The mitochondria section of the cell is where oxygen is convert to energy. The lack of oxygen in your body can make you tired because it decreases your cells’ performance. In order for your body to metabolize food into energy it needs oxygen. Basically, everything that you do requires oxygen.
Now that you know the importance of oxygen, lets look at pranayama, the yoga breathing technique. Pranayama is designed to increase health and energy through proper breathing. Practicing this yoga technique on a regular basis can help relax the body and mind, strengthen the nervous and respiratory system, relieves stress, improves concentration, and may help cure asthma, diabetes and other diseases.
Below are 9 steps on how to practice Pranayama to increase energy
- Find a comfortable area full of fresh air, sit down with your legs crossing each other and your palms on the floor.
- Lift your spine upward by pressing your palms on the floor, this technique helps to open your chest area so you can breathe more.
- While staying in this position, place both of your palms by your stomach and take a deep breath, expanding your ribcage as much as possible, then exhale.
- Repeat step three 2-3 times, remember to keep your spine extended and chin leveled.
- Cross your palms and place your right palm near your left collarbone and your left palm near your right collarbone.
- Breathe in as much air as your lung can handle, then exhale.
- Repeat step six 2-3 times.
- Put your hands by your knees and breathe in slowly and smoothly, hold your breath for 1-2 seconds, then exhale. Remember to keep your spine straight and extended.
- Repeat step three, five & six and eight 3-5 times or more if you like.
After doing this breathing exercise, you should feel relaxed and more energized.