The flu is always a hot topic every year because during flu season, usually winter and early spring, a large number of people get sick. Those who have lung problems and weak immune systems may even die from this contagious airborne disease. It has been a few decades since the world saw a flu pandemic but this may change within the next few weeks. As I’m writing this article, there is a virus that is multiplying and infecting thousands of people worldwide. This virus is called the Swine Flu and Mexico is the unlucky country that is suffering the hardest.
According to the Associated Press, the swine flu had killed more than 150 people in Mexico. In the United States, 68 confirmed cases had been reported by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Because the swine flu is airborne, it is spreading rather quickly and containing it is already too late. With the help of the media, the swine flu is causing more fear in people than it should. People don’t need to be afraid of the swine flu because nature had already provided all the necessary tool to fight this disease. Below are remedies and effective methods to fight flu viruses.
What is the flu?
- The flu is an airborne virus that has a single strand of RNA. The flu virus has the ability to change itself slightly when it copies itself. Once every decade or so, the flu virus may change more dramatically and cause a worldwide flu pandemic. This is the reason why it is hard to find a cure for it because it is always changing. The flu has many different strains but is classified into 3 groups, influenzavirus A, influenzavirus B and influenzavirus C. The deadliest of the group is influenzavirus A. The swine flu is under the A category.
- Symptoms from different strains of flu may vary slightly but they are similar to that of a cold: fever, sore throat, headache, chills, coughing, muscle pains, nausea, vomiting, sweats and fatigue.
- Vitamin D3: Plays an important role for aiding the immune system to fight microorganisms. Some experts believed that the reason why people are more vulnerable to the flu during winter is because of the lack of sunlight. The shorter days equal to less sunlight which prevents the skin from producing sufficient levels of vitamin D3. Taking natural vitamin D3 supplement during winter is recommended by many health experts.Vitamin D3 may be the most effective way to fight the flu. Studies have shown that vitamin D3 may help prevent cytokine storm. Too much cytokine in the lung can cause fluid buildup which can drown the infected person. This is the number one reason why people died during influenzavirus A infections. The 1918 Spanish flu is a good example of this.
- Nano-silver and colloidal silver: Studies shown that nano-silver and colloidal silver have the ability to kill virus with no resistance, even the AIDS virus. Visit this page for more details about them.
- Vitamin C: Eating food high in vitamin C or taking natural vitamin C supplement may help fight off the flu. Robert Cathcart, M.D. suggested that vitamin C can cured the flu. “I have not seen any flu yet that was not cured or markedly ameliorated by massive doses of vitamin C but it is possible that the bird flu may require even higher doses such as 150 to 300 grams a day,” (www.iterasi.net. Oct 2008).
- Echinacea: A natural remedy that is popular for boosting the immune system. Its antiviral and antioxidant properties make it popular for treating the common cold and flu. Herbalists recommend adding about 10 to 20 drops of echinacea tincture in a glass of warm water before drinking it.
- Astragalus: A natural remedy that is widely used in China for boosting the immune system. It is traditionally used as an energy tonic but is popular for treating common colds, respiratory infections and the flu. Herbalists recommend taking 3 dosage per day. Each dosage should contained no more than 200 mg of astragalus.
- Goldenseal: A natural remedy with powerful anti-inflammatory, antibiotic and astringent properties. The root is used for reducing colds, flu, fevers and other respiratory problems. Herbalists recommend 3 dosage of goldenseal per day. Each dosage should contained no more than 100 mg.
- Ginger: A natural remedy with powerful healing properties. It is used as a diaphoretic to fight off cold and flu. Ginger is well known for treating motion and morning sickness, migraines, nausea, arthritis, respiratory infections. Because of these features, it is popular for treating the flu.
Other ways to fight the flu
- Eating a healthy diet is one of the best ways to reduce your risk of getting the flu. Organic food such as fruit and vegetable are loaded with antioxidants, phytochemicals and many other nutrients that are designed to fight off bacteria and virus. No matter how deadly the microorganism, if you provide your body with the right nutrients, it has a very good chance of destroying it.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. Being dehydrated can cause the mucous membranes around your eyes, mouth and nose to shrink which increases the chance of microorganisms getting through these barriers.
- Your body needs about 8 hours of sleep per day. Getting enough rest will help boost your immune system.
- Many hospitals recommend yearly flu vaccination but this may not be the best solution. Flu vaccine only works well for people with healthy immune systems. Flu vaccine consists of dead or very weakened flu viruses which is then injected into patients. Once the virus is their bodies, their white blood cells investigate and start producing antibodies to fight the virus. If their immune system is weak, the vaccine may not work properly. Seniors and people with immune system disorders usually are the ones that don’t benefit with flu vaccine.
- Flu virus mutates constantly which can cause the vaccine to be ineffective. Even if the mutation is minor, the vaccine can fail.
- Flu vaccine and many other vaccines contain a preservative called thimersol, a mercury derivative. Mercury is very toxic to the body, especially the brain. Mercury is very hard for the body to eliminate and can cause certain major health problems.
Out of all the methods to fight the flu, nothing is as effective as the immune system. If you provide your immune system with enough nutrients and keep it healthy, the flu is no match against the healing power of your immune system. Even cancer is no match for your immune system when it is operating at maximum. For other natural flu remedies, visit this page.
Vitamin D For Flu
Category: Natural Medicines and Remedies