Genetically modified food, also known as GM food or GMO, is food that has gone through some kind of artificial genetic change using genetic engineering techniques. It is derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), such as GM bacteria and GM seed. Companies that are behind the GM food movements claim there are little or no health risks to eating GM foods. Their claims are very misleading, because most of their studies done on GM foods lack the concrete data to show how they are good for consumer’s health. Also, many of the other studies done on GM foods are sponsored by the companies that are in the GM food business. These company-sponsored studies are usually very biased and designed to trick consumers into thinking that GM foods are good for their health.
On the contrary, studies that were done independently found that animals fed with GM foods developed serious health problems, such as infertility, birth defects, immune disorders, growth and digestive problems, and premature aging. These health problems are the results of scientists lacking the knowledge and technology to effectively create GM food that flows well with the laws of nature. Until scientists learn how to work with nature instead of destroying it, they will never be able to create GM food that is safe to eat.
Even though numerous studies have shown that genetically modified food may be a major health risk to consumers, the FDA is doing little to prevent it from reaching the shelves of grocery stores. The FDA is an agency that you should be careful of because it is highly influenced by lobbyists. Behind closed doors the FDA works similar to a business, and like most businesses, it will usually favor its sponsors rather than consumers. One of the GM food companies lobbying the FDA and the food industry is Monsanto. One of Monsanto’s main goals is to dominate the world by replacing natural food with GM food. As of this writing, the FDA does not require GM food to be labeled, which is why it is hard to tell if a food is genetically modified. Hopefully this will change in the very near future.
In the United States, there are five types of food that are usually genetically modified. They are corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, and sugar beets. This means that most vegetable oils, and a good portion of fast food and junk food, are either genetically modified or contain some type of genetically modified ingredients.
Tips on how to avoid genetically modified food
- Most vegetable oils are either genetically modified or contain genetically modified ingredients, unless they are organic or labeled non-GMO. Olive and coconut oil are great alternatives because there are currently no genetically modified olive and coconut oil. The coconut oil that I recommend using is called Artisana Raw Organic Coconut Oil.
- Avoid junk foods as much as possible, because many of them contain some type of genetically modified ingredient. When buying junk food make sure you read the ingredients list. For more specific information on how to look for invisible GM ingredients, please visit this site.
- Many of the foods found in fast food restaurants are genetically modified or contain GM ingredients, because they are cooked with GM vegetable oil or contain soybean ingredient.
- Avoid processed foods that contain soy and corn by-products, including soy protein, soy flour, soy lecithin, corn meal, corn syrup, fructose, dextrose, maltodextrin, citric acid, and lactic acid.
- Avoid dairy products that are treated with genetically modified rbGH.
- Avoid corn that is not organically grown, because it is usually genetically modified.
A great site to visit for more tips about genetically modified food is nongmoshoppingguide.com.
Everything You Have to Know About Dangerous Genetically Modified Foods – Part 1
Category: Genetically Modified Organism (GMO)