Food addiction is an addiction that is hard for us to get over because we need food to survive; plus, it is everywhere. Every time we open our refrigerator or walk into a convenience store there is food right in front of our eyes. Living in a country where there seems to be an abundance of food can be a blessing but it makes it really hard to overcome food addiction.
Most of us who are addicted to food are usually addicted to junk food. Being addicted to junk food is even worse because junk food contains little nutrients, excessive calories, and harmful synthetic chemicals. Depending too much on junk food can lead to major health problems, such as heart disease, obesity, and cancer.
How to break food addiction
- Manage your stress: Stress is known as the silent killer. It is very destructive to your body because it can cause it to produce too many anti-stress chemicals. This can disrupt your chemical balance which may lead to depression and health problems. When you are depressed, your body tends to look for things to counter it. Food can be one of them.
- Understand your desires: Addiction is a lack of knowledge of the desires that make you temporarily happy. When you do not understand your desires, you tend to become addicted to them because they give you a false sense of happiness.
- Pay attention to the trigger foods: Pay attention to the food that triggers your appetite. If you learn how to control the food that triggers your appetite, it will help prevent overeating and food addiction.
- Take control of your emotions: Emotions play important roles for controlling addictions because they act like a magnetic force that pushes you into doing something or pulls you away from doing something. For example, when you love eating something, your emotions tend to take over your body and push you into eating it. If you learn how to control your emotions, getting over food addiction would be a lot easier.
- Knowledge is power: The more you educate yourself about food addiction, the more you can protect yourself from it. For example, educating yourself to avoid the food that promotes addiction is a great way to prevent food addiction.
- Exercise: When you are stressed or bored, instead of eating do some exercises. Exercise can stimulate the release of endorphins which act like natural pain and stress fighters. The release of endorphins during an exercise have been known to give exercisers a natural high feeling.
- Avoid putting yourself in the situation: Avoid putting yourself in a situation where you are exposed to food that triggers your appetite. If this is hard for you to do, reduce the numbers of time you are exposed to food. A good way to start is to reduce the trigger foods in your refrigerator.
- Avoid the drug-like food: Certain dairy, meat and most high sugar foods are very addictive because they contain hidden substances that can cause addiction. Many of these substances have minor morphine-like properties that promote addiction.
- Take control of your thoughts: Your thought is one of the most powerful energetic forces that you have. It is so powerful that it has the ability to manifest your desires. When you learn how to better take control of your thoughts, you become less susceptible to subliminal food ads and addictive behaviors.
- Turn off the TV: Over half of the ads on TV are related to food. Many of these ads are designed to stimulate your appetite.
- Therapeutic fasting: Fasting is a process that involves cutting out certain food or all food for a certain amount of time. This process causes the mind to reboot or reprogram itself which can assist the body to recover from health conditions, such as food addiction. For more information on this subject please visit this site.
- Learn to control your ego: The ego is a part of your mind that loves excuses, denial, power and control. In order for it to stay in control, it needs to put you in a state of disempowerment. Using food as a tool to disempower you is one of the ego’s favorite controlling tool. To learn how to overcome the ego please read “How to Overcome the Ego.”
- Release energy blockages: The root causes of all addictions start at the energetic level. Addiction occurs when your energies are blocked or out of balance. When you break matter down to the fundamentals, it is made of conscious energy that is intelligent in nature. Your body is made of matter; therefore, its true form is energy. All the different types of materials that you see in your realities and chemicals in your body are nothing more than expressions of energies. This also means that addiction is an expression of energies. Energy blockages can be released through certain emotional and psychological healing techniques, or energy healing techniques, such as Acupuncture, Reiki and Kathara healing.