The amount of consumer products that contain harmful chemicals are so overwhelming that one conventional store can carry over tens of thousands of these products. Many of these chemicals are intentionally put into products for mostly business purposes. It is all about saving as much money as possible, even if it is harmful to consumers.
Whenever a harmful chemical becomes well known, manufacturers would try to change its name to fool consumers. An example of this is aspartame, which is now being named as AminoSweet. Manufacturers will also try to use long scientific names to confuse consumers. These marketing strategies are designed to trick the consumers into buying their so-called “safe and healthy products.”
The list below is a continuation from part one which is designed to help you avoid certain consumer products that contain harmful ingredients or substances.
- Sugar free products: A lot of consumers believe that sugar free products are healthy and great for preventing weight loss. These consumers have been tricked by the food industry. Sugar free products usually contained artificial sweeteners. The most popular ones are sucralose (also known as Splenda) and aspartame (also known as Equal, AminoSweet, NutraSweet). These two artificial sweeteners are considered by independent researchers as neurotoxins. Artificial sweeteners are great for causing weight gain even though they contain fewer calories. Artificial sweeteners are also found in baby products. If you have babies, do not feed them baby food that contains artificial sweeteners.
- Soda: One of the most dangerous ingredients found in soda is high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). HFCS is not like regular sugar. Most HFCS has been genetically modified, because it is a product of corn. Many studies have linked HFCS to obesity, heart disease and certain cancer. To learn more about how HFCS causes obesity, please visit this site. Diet soda is even worse, because it contains artificial sweetener, which is great for causing weight gain and destroying brain cells. If you are pregnant, you should stay twice as far away from diet soda because you have twice as many reasons to not drink it.
- Conventional shampoo: Most of the shampoo in conventional stores are filled with harmful chemicals. The common ones are sodium lauryl sulfate and methylisothiazoline (MIT). Some of the chemicals found in shampoo are known to be harmful to the skin and hair. Some of them are even considered to be neurotoxins. If you are worried about going bald or having skin problems, you may want to avoid conventional shampoo. When buying shampoo read the ingredients list. If it contains the two chemicals I mentioned above, avoid it. For more information about the hidden dangers in shampoo, please read this article.
- Conventional cow milk: Got milk? I hope not. The health claims made by the dairy industry about conventional milk are very misleading. They are designed to trick you into buying its product. Cow milk does little to strengthen bone. Conventional cow milk is full of harmful chemicals, animal proteins and synthetic vitamins. In order for your body to effectively absorb calcium, it needs assistance from vitamin D. The vitamin D in conventional milk is synthetic and does not have all the necessary components to help your body effectively absorb calcium. The best source of calcium is not from cow milk but from plant-based food. Many plant-based food contains more calcium per calorie than milk. Plus it contains other nutrients that are necessary for the utilization of calcium. Examples of plant-based food that contains more calcium per calorie than milk are: arugula, bok choy, turnip greens, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach and broccoli. For more information about bone health, please read Bone Health: Truth and Myth.
- Cell phone: This consumer product is a little off topic, but I decided to put it in the list because of its tremendous growth. Cell phone has changed the way we communicate so much that it can make us crazy when we go a day without it. Cell phone is a great technology, but its manufacturers have lied to you about how it affects your health. One of the main problems with cell phone is electromagnetic pollution, which is caused by electromagnetic fields (EMFs). EMFs can be used to heal or harm the body. Unfortunately, the EMFs generated by cell phone vibrates at certain frequencies that are harmful to your cells. In the long-run, this may cause cellular mutations, which can lead to cancer. To reduce electromagnetic pollution, do not use your cell phone for too long. If you use your cell phone a lot, you may want to buy a wave shield for cell phone. High quality wave shields can reflect most electromagnetic radiation emitted from cell phone.