Image provided by Lori Ann
Thanksgiving is a time of getting together with families and friends and offering thanks for a delicious meal. Some of the most common Thanksgiving foods are turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, apple and pumpkin pie, and cheese cake. These foods look tasty but are usually full of unhealthy ingredients. To avoid adding unhealthy ingredients without sacrificing the flavor of your Thanksgiving dishes, follow my health tips below. If you are having a hard time deciding on new dishes for Thanksgiving, try the two simple yet delicious recipes below. As always, use organic and fresh ingredients for best results.
Thanksgiving health tips
- If you live in the U.S., avoid using corn, soy, canola and cottonseed oil to cook food because most of them are genetically modified or contain genetically modified ingredients.
- Only use fresh organic fruits and vegetables for your Thanksgiving dishes, especially corn (U.S. version) because most of it is genetically modified. Use only organic corn or non-GMO corn.
- If possible, during cooking cover the food with a lid because it will help cook the food faster. It also helps preserve its nutrients.
- Use sea salt instead of table salt to flavor your food. I recommend using himalayan or celtic sea salt.
- Do not overeat because it will causes stress on all the system of your body and is bad for your digestive system.
- Use only organic herbs and spices to flavor your food.
- Avoid drinking beverages that contain high levels of refined sugar, such as sodas and energy drinks. Also, stay away from diet beverages because they contain artificial sweetener, a neurotoxin. Instead, drink fresh filtered water, tea or organic juice.
Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes: Honey-Roast Vegetable Mix
- 2 parsnips, peeled
- 3 small potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 buttercup squash
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon 100% olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to about 400 °F.
- Halve the parsnips and remove the inner section, then cut it into smaller chunks.
- Halve the squash and remove its seeds, then cut it at a slight angle, into wedges and peel.
- Add fresh filtered water into a cooking pan and sprinkle the sea salt on top. When the water boils, throw the parsnips, potatoes and squash in it and let them cook for about two minutes. Take them out once they are slightly tender and drain them.
- Put the olive oil in a heat-resistant bowl and heat it in the oven for about two minutes. Take the olive oil out of the oven and coat the drained vegetables with it, then bake them until they are light-brown. Do not forget to turn vegetables over.
- While the vegetables are being baked, mix the honey, mustard and lemon juice. When the vegetables are ready to be removed from the oven, take them out and coat them with the honey, mustard and lemon juice mixture. Put the vegetables back into the oven and bake them until they are golden brown. Take them out, serve and enjoy!
Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes: Fruit and Vegetable Salad
- 1 fresh watermelon or a melon of your choice
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cucumber, diced and salted with sea salt
- 5 green onions
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 4 ounces radishes
- Olive oil (100%)
- 1/2 cup trimmed watercress, add more if needed
Dressing for the salad
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- Black pepper
- Peel the melon, remove its seed, cut it into smaller pieces and dice them. Throw the melon and diced cucumber in a colander and toss them together.
- Add a little olive oil in a frying pan and use it to fry the almonds until they turn light-brown. Put the almonds on paper towels.
- Quarter the radishes and cut the green peppers into thin pieces (not too thin). Mix them together in a bowl.
- Add the melon and cucumber to the bowl and mix the four ingredients together by tossing them gently. Transfer the salad into plates.
- Add the watercress and almonds on top of the salad
- Mix the four dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad. Enjoy!
Category: Physical Energy